
The Cree Princess Diaries
There are times when my granddaughter is Princess Jingle Dancer. She attends her native dance ceremonies and celebrations.
She is exploring the world of The Jingle Dance.
And I explore my role in this, our little journey together.
In Cree tradition, it is the Grandmother's responsibilty to chose a colour for the child. I knew that to honour and respect her heritage I had to do this right.
When I gave her a colour, she would forever dance the Jingle Dance surrounded by her colour and the sound of the jingles.
So I pondered . Alot. This gift of a colour was important to My Cree Princess. The ability to give her this gift an honour that moves me to tears.
And I gave her the colour purple. The colour of healing.
I know her road ahead may not be easy, living in a country that does not respect our First Nations people. She will have to prove herself time and time again. Because of the colour of her skin. And the stereotypes. And perhaps the hate.
So I have surrounded her with the colour purple.
I cannot protect my Cree Princess from the world, but we will give her self love.
The most effective defense.
When she faces the challenges of her heritage and the world in general ,she will know that in my arms she will forever have a place to heal.

6 comments:
I have tears now. What a beautiful color to choose.
Here's to a peaceful future for your princess.
She's very lucky to have had a family such as yours give her a home.
It's a mutual gift.
purple also being the colour of freedom hope and grace. I believe she will also have all of thos to go with the healing.
Awwww Wow! What a beautiful tradition! While reading this post I was touched by such love that you have also given her.
I will never think of the color purple the same way.
Would you mind doing me a favor? Would you make a post up about the colors and what each color represents? I am very interested. Maybe it is my artists soul.
Thanks for sharing.
Mysti
So beautiful. Your one Great Grandma!
Hugs to you and your Cree Princess! May her road be one easily traveled with few bumps.
Hugs
Post a Comment