Monday, June 26, 2006

I am a mom that counts down the end of school with my kids.
And as of today there are 2 more days of school.
And then our busy, crazy boy driven schedule comes to a screeching halt.
Soccer is done. We aren't going to provincials. (quiet mom cheer)
School is done, no more lunches to pack.
I ran out of creative ideas half way through grade one.
No more morning scrambling, meals on the run.
We rarely go away for summer vacations.
There are few places more inviting than here through the summer.
We save our vacations to flee 40 below.
Here's what our summer looks like:
3 weekends in July, camping at baseball provincial games, all within a two hour drive.
5 days in a canoe, with my boy. Leaving at our doorstep, arriving at my god daughters home on the same river.
Floating down , camping on the banks.
Time for conversation and contemplation.
I cut back my work schedule and only work when I want in the summer,
so I get caught up when it rains.
Our beautiful summer days are glorious but fleeting.
I've learned not to blink, or I'll miss them.

11 comments:

Gina said...

Sounds lovely.

I wish I could get into camping. I think the most I could do is an RV or something.

Tracy said...

Sounds wonderful! Wishing I was able to vacation in your area! How much more fun do you need then a canoing and floating down the river?

Hope said...

well yall come on out, we have a camping spot on the river, a fire pit, power, outhouse, and I'll even lend you a tent....

Heather Plett said...

That canoe trip sounds heavenly! Can I come? I'm the designated "fire-starter" and "tent-putter-upper" in our family so I could be put to good use!

I wish I could cut back on work hours in the summer :-(

Hope said...

If you can paddle as well you are in!!

Liz said...

Sounds like a perfect summer. I wish I were closer! Floating down a river is about the right pace for me.

The Idiot Speaketh said...

Have a good summer! I'm already counting down to the start of school.......

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Wow, can't believe your kids are STILL in school . Guess Canadian schools go longer? WE got out May 24 or so....My summer is more relaxing than the school year, but not nearly as relaxing as yours! Glad things will slow down for ya!

jumpinginpuddles said...

as we count the days back to school :D four more to go yeyyyyy, and yes we hate making school lunches also, sounds like you guys are going to have a fun summer break:)

oshee said...

We count down the days too.

It sounds like you live in the most perfect place to spend a summer. Have any extra rooms?

Silver Creek Mom said...

Sounds glorious Hope.

Enjoy.