Thursday, July 13, 2006


My husband gets very few mentions in my blog. I think it's because this blog is one of the few things we do not share. I'm a little selfish with it.
As I was dusting this morning, I lifted up the Mexican maracas for the hundredth time and thought, I really should toss these,
But I never will.
They represent the day I re committed my heart to my husband forever.
Our family was in California for the Disneyland thing, and we decided to take a bus trip to Tijuana. I had been there with friends, and I pumped my daughter up with the fun of bartering for goods from the street vendors.
My husband, a non shopper anywhere stayed in the background, absent minded noting our deals. I came upon an old woman who was selling maracas, the paper mache variety, brightly painted, and a great souvenir. My daughter and I began bartering and finally purchased the maracas for a dollar a piece. Delighted with our purchase, we showed our husband. He reached for his wallet and i saw him hand the lady a twenty.
No, no, I jumped in, we already paid for them.
"I know he said. "He had tears in his eyes.
What's the matter we say, and as the tears flow even more, he says,
" That woman could be my mom or yours, hope, it's just a roll of the dice."
We began to walk away and he said, "lets get out of here,
"do you have enough cash to get us across the border?"
I replied yes, and my wonderful man walked back to that little old woman and handed her all the cash he had and leaned over a kissed her on the cheek.
And I gave my heart to him again.
We had a somber ride back into the first world country a few hundred feet away, each of us learning a lesson of humanity, and respected our husband/ dad in a brand new way.
The maracas stay.
And I will remember the essence of my man when I dust them.

9 comments:

Tracy said...

Hope those maracas are far too valuable to ever get rid of I agree with you. Some things are priceless. Your husband sounds like a wonderful man. I can see why you are so very much in love with him, and why you are so proud of him.

Liz said...

Geez, Hope! Are you planning on making me cry every day this week?

Great post of a beautiful memory.

Me, Not You said...

Oh that is so sweet...
So touching...


(and yes, my eye did get a little teary too)

Hope said...

ya I'm getting a little sappy,
hmmmmmm
that cp thing made all sucky I think.

Heather Plett said...

What a beautiful memory! You've definitely found yourself a keeper (the man I mean, not the maracas :-).

I got pretty good at bartering in Mexico and Africa, but I have to admit, it did occasionally come with some guilt pangs too.

jumpinginpuddles said...

no wonder they are special because as he gave his heart so you gave yours

Silver Creek Mom said...

OH * flicks tears* what a wonderful Man.

You lucked out Hope. One in a million.

Hugs

And I would not throw them out either.

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Thanks a lot for making me cry at work Hope. That truly is a sweet story and what a man with a heart of gold. I would keep both!

Anonymous said...

Goddess, Hope. What a wonderful man.