Saturday, December 02, 2006

Years ago, a study was done with newborn monkeys.
They were separated from their mothers and provided with two surrogates ,
one was a wire form covered with fake fur.
The other, a wire form with a nipple and access to milk.
These tiny infants always chose the surrogate with fur,
rather than milk, holding on to the furry one, unless they were eating.
All the newborn monkeys raised with these surrogates
were found to be extremely anti social and anxious little things
after they were placed with normal monkeys.
They never recovered their ability to socialize.
So why do I tell you this????
I heard about this product on the car radio,
and really couldn't believe it was true, but I googled it,
and I bring you the Zaky.......















Designed to weigh and feel like a parents hand, the parent sleeps with it, it retains the parents scent, and then, viola.... the baby thinks you are there, and is comforted.
Wow..... whatever happened to actually being there?

8 comments:

Liz said...

Oh! My! God!!!! Unbelievable!

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Oh my goodness HOpe....that is really interesting. And I agree with you...isn't it sad that we would aactually NEED a product such as this? Are we actually so busy we can't snuggle with our children? However, I could see its worth if you didn't want to get in the habit of letting your child sleep with you but wanted them to feel like you were near...I have to google this myself. Thanks for writing about this!

BarnGoddess_01 said...

ewwww this creeps me out.......

Tracy said...

That figures.... poor little child would benifet much more with the real deal. They can not replace the heartbeat, nor the love.

Gina said...

I don't know why people keep pushing little babies toward independence. They are just little babies!

We slept with our son for a long time, until he was ready to sleep alone. Most people think their kids will want to sleep with them forever, and for us, that didn't happen at all. And guess what? Unlike many other parents, we have no fights about going to bed, he goes to sleep as easy as you please.

The Idiot Speaketh said...

That's why I keep waking up with a rubber cat paw laying on my shoulder! Thanks for clearing that up! ha ha

Heather Plett said...

OH. MY. GOSH. That is just creepy. And wrong on so many levels. Makes me just want to pick up and cuddle that baby and whisper in her ear "I'm sorry your parents are idiots."

Some day, that child is going to have nightmares about fake hands grabbing her in the night.

Silver Creek Mom said...

OH that's is just gross. And I hope to hell no one falls for this or buys it.

Sick...just sick.