Friday, September 14, 2007

My summers mantra of, "it can wait til September",
has bit me in the butt,
and September has come in like a lion.
My 27th annual,

" First day of School Dance of Joy",

only lasted til after the Labour day weekend ...
alas, I have been worked to death.....
but is of my own device,
so.........sit back, catch up as I serve up



















September brings almost every kind of weather here,
and we've had a bit of everything so far.........

The Cree Princess left her favourite toy ever out in the hail....
so I made a daring rescue........
after being cuddled in a towel for an hour he made a full recovery.















Then.......we had our first heavy frost this week,
so it was a rush to get in the delicate stuff from the garden.....






























Our garden was prolific this year, I've been doubly blessed,
first with the opportunity to play in the garden all summer,
then to enjoy it's bounty throughout the winter.















We made apple juice from our own tree,
still leaving lots of fruit for the birds over the winter


















It rained, it poured, it thundered and left lovely puddles to quad through....
( this picture is for you amelia ;) )


















and today, the sun shone, and I was again,
grateful.

10 comments:

Liz said...

What do you do with all those pumpkins?

I can't believe you've had a frost already. Do you can up those green tomatoes? Or do you ripen them indoors? Those carrots look so good! Our soil is clay-ey so we have problems with tubers. That's why I was so proud of my little potato harvest.

Our first major frost is in November/December. I'd probably be more motivated to can/freeze my produce if I had your climate, but the plants are done by the time it freezes here.

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Wish I lived closer so I could share in your bounty. :)

Hope said...

The pumpkins will be given away for halloween, the tomatoes will ripen and be used fresh, with the rest frozen. I have never had fried green tomatoes, but I did watch the movie, and get a recipe off the internet. Are they any good??
Our dirt is black and rich as you can see. If we had a longer growing season there would be no end to what we could grow.

Liz said...

I have had very good fried green tomatoes but when I've made them myself, they've been kind of greasy. They are delicious if made right.

Gina said...

Mmmm, looking good. Monkey, not looking so good out in the snow, but I'm glad to hear he is ok!

Wadical said...

Sweet looking produce there, Hope.

You know, as a born and bred good looking Southern boy (that means all teeth present, no mullet and shoes!) by default, I am an expert on such southern delicacies as "Fried Green Tomatoes. They're delicious.

Some tips:

The tomatoes must be firm (larger tomatoes work the best)

You must slice the tomatoes thick. (1/2 inch slices are perfect.)

Salt and pepper the tomatoes first. Easy on the salt, generous with the pepper.

Then drag them through some corn meal. The moisture from inside the tomato should cause it to stick just perfect. (no flour)

and here's the secret...Don't use oil, use filtered Bacon Grease. (I never said they were good for you.)

There should be enough Bacon Grease to cover the bottom of the pan and be about 1/8th of an inch deep. (Either fry up lots of bacon or use a small pan.) Grease must be HOT before putting in tomato.

about 2 minutes on each side or just enough to turn a bright golden color. Tomatoes will soften a bit after frying the first side, so be careful turning them over or they'll fall apart.

Sit on a paper towel to absorb extra grease and serve "warm", not "hot". I'd tell you to eat them with cheese grits but you'd ask me what "grits" were and I'd get offended. So try them with a nice side of ranch or bleu cheese dressing. But they're best with nothing but a plate and a fork.

Liz said...

Mmmm, cheese grits. Now I'm really hungry!

Hope said...

w3, thanks for the recipe, I think I'll cook for lunch tommorow after I pick up some corn meal.
I'll post my review.... Being canadian, i always have bacon grease on hand ;).
I've had grits, I don't understand grits..... no offense... I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy our favorite Northern delicacy, deep fried seal blubber :)
just in case, here's the recipe

I cook this from fresh seal, but frozen works just as well (you just need a sharper knife):

carve thick slices of fat off chest of seal
remove skin and save for boots.
slice blubber into 1 inch slices
thread blubber thru sharpened stick, and place over fire.
Cook until sizzling and dark brown.
let cool before eating.

If you don't have a good supply of seal, just let me know.... I'll throw some in a box and ship it down, the stuff keeps for years!!!

enjoy ;)

Wadical said...

...Deep fried Seal Blubber. Yeah. Mmmm, OK then. Uhhh, Thanks? I think.

Silver Creek Mom said...

WOW what a crop. Looks awesoem we got alot of Turnips this year and oh Squash.."Good thing I love both.